It was the 4th January 2012 that I was diagnosed with bowel cancer. I remember it like it was yesterday. My dad coming over to watch my 3-month-old daughter and 2-year-old son whilst my husband took me to the hospital for my long-awaited colonoscopy.
I knew instantly that there was a problem, as soon as the consultant began the procedure – the weird looks and awkward silences when I asked what was wrong. The nurse wouldn’t tell me what was happening, saying only that I should wait for the consultant to come and see me. When the consultant finally did come, he said that he wanted my husband present. All of this combined with the feeling in my heart and stomach meant I knew, before the consultant told me. I knew that I had bowel cancer. You can read all about my diagnosis here if you want to know more…
The strangest start of any year! A time that should have been filled with resolutions and big plans of the year ahead with my small family became about only one – not dying. I find the 4th January more significant than finding out I was all clear for many reasons but there is something about having your all wants focused to just… being alive.
Don’t get my wrong, I still make New Years resolutions about losing weight and exercising regularly which I fail miserably within weeks, if not days (which of course are my resolutions this year as well) but at least I know that I have the main one about staying alive – covered.
But I want to hear more about you guys…. What are your resolutions? Leave a comment and let me know so that we can get each other on track!
Follow this blog to get latest posts and updates straight to your inbox.
You can also follow me on Facebook , Twitter and Instagram
I genuinely love to hear from you so come and say hi! Nx
If you have been following me for a while you will probably be aware of my Anti-Bucket Lists but if you haven’t or need reminding you can read all about it here but basically, when I was having treatment for advanced Colorectal Cancer I decided that when I got better I would flip the traditional ‘things-to-do-before-I-die-Bucket-List’ idea and came up with ‘The Anti-Bucket List’… these are things I am going to do because I’m alive.
My list for 2014 was;
Holly at her first Ballet performance
- Go to a fancy Horse Race – My lovely hubby took me to Royal Ascot and it was everything I hoped, including seeing the Queen and Prince Harry. You can read about it here.
- See a Ballet at the Royal Opera House – It wasn’t at the Royal Opera House but I took my daughter to see her first ballet, you English National Ballet performing Swan Lake in Milton Keynes and it was amazing and a very special mummy-daughter moment.
- Visit Harry Potter world at Letchworth Studios – I ended up going to Harry Potter world at Universal Studios instead!! Oh yeah!! I was literally like a kid at Christmas.
- Take part in Cancer Research’s Colour Run – They didn’t do one last year 😦
- Go somewhere I haven’t been before – Benhavis in Spain – if you are in the area, it is beautiful and well worth a visit.
My Anti-Bucket List for 2015;
- See the Book of Mormon – been meaning to see it for ages.
- Visit Harry Potter at Letchworth Studios – going to Florida has made me want to visit even more.
- Visit somewhere new – This was on my list last year but I think this will remain on my list forever.
- Do the Tougher Mudder race for Cancer Research. Am hoping this will be achievable by the end of my #100ActiveDays?!
- Visit a new Spa – sometimes you just need a bit of a break and I know that I do now so a Spa weekend will be just what the doctor ordered… and I think I could get away with considering it research?! 🙂
- Organise a family get-together for no reason. I love my extended family and so rarely get to see everyone altogether outside of weddings. Christenings, funerals etc… So I am going to try to organise a ‘Just Because I Love You’ get-together.
- Add a lock to the Love Lock Bridge in Paris – sounds cheesy but fun, making our mark on Paris forever.
As always I am looking for new inspired ideas so if you have any, please leave a comment below and let me know. I had some great ones last year and as a result did even more cool stuff, would love that again. I would also love to hear what is on your list so let me know.
Make my day and follow this blog, just click FOLLOW in the right column
You can also follow me on Facebook and Twitter. Come and say hi, I would love to hear from you!