I think everyone is now familiar with the term Bucket List as a list of things you want to do before you kick the bucket. When I was having treatment for advanced Colorectal Cancer I decided that when I got better I would flip the idea and came up with The Anti-Bucket List… these were things I was going to do, not because I was going to die, but because I was going to live. Got the idea?
I see this as different to New Years Resolutions because I consider those the be goals of the year, whereas this list is more things I want to do and experience.
Last year I only included a few things as I was still having treatment / recovering but there were;
- Travel to somewhere I haven’t been before / Travel for the first time with my colostomy bag – I went to Morocco. Truly amazing experience. I was so nervous to travel for the first time with a colostomy bag but in reality it was fine. Just made sure I had plenty of everything (I took about 2 months worth for 3 nights) and in all different bags in case something happened, but nothing did. No trouble flying. Everything was cool. Have now flown a few times, all fine. And Morocco itself was out of this world. It is firmly at the high end of my favourite places to go list (Mexico remains number 1).
- Go to University – Wasn’t easy and at times I wondered why I put it on the list but I did it. I now go to the University of Hertfordshire reading English Literature, Philosophy & Writing and I absolutely LOVE it. It is one of my favourite things to do on earth at the moment.
- Read another 3 books of my list – My list is the BBC Top 100 Reads voted by the public. Its been really good actually, made me read loses of books I wouldn’t have otherwise, most of which I have really enjoyed.
So that was last year, but what about this year… This is what I have so far…
- Go to a fancy Horse Race – by that I mean like Ascot, a traditional big race where the ladies get seriously dressed up.
- See a Ballet at the Royal Opera House – I haven’t been for years.
- Visit Harry Potter world at Letchworth Studios – as close as I can get to the real thing.
- Take part in Cancer Research’s Colour Run – Have you seen how much fun this looks… has to be done. If you want move information about it, visit www.thecolourrun.co.uk or if you want to know more about why Cancer Research means so much to me specifically you can click here!
- Go somewhere I haven’t been before – This doesn’t have to be abroad, there is still a lot in the UK I haven’t seen. Quite like the idea of the outer-Heberdies… anyone have any suggestions?
So that is the Anti-Bucket list as it stands but I am looking for inspiration and things to add so please leave and comment & let me know what else I can do that will bring fun and excitement to this year I’m living.
But, most importantly, what is on your Anti-Bucket list? I really would like to know leave a comment & tell me.
Whatever it is, hope you have fun doing it! x
Some other awesome lists to check out….